Panopto allows users to add computer-generated captioning to their recordings, which enables viewers to read a transcription of the audio while they watch the video.
When using the automatic captioning feature in Panopto, there are a few things to consider. The captioning is highly accurate for recordings made in a controlled environment, like your home or office, where the audio is clear and there isn't a lot of background noise.
Recordings made in classrooms or other environments tend to have less accurate captions, which can make them less useful.
Panopto doesn't provide any settings to caption videos by default, so they must be captioned individually by following the directions below. Note: While instructors can caption any video in their course, students can caption only videos they create.
1. Go to the Panopto Recordings area in Canvas.
2. Hover over the recording you would like to caption and select Edit.
3. The recording editor will open the video in a new tab.
4. On the left side of the screen, select Captions.
5. Click Import Captions and select Import Automatic Captions.
6. Finally, click the Publish button to save your changes.
7. You may see a pop-up window that says “Changes Published, Leave Editor?”. Click Leave.
8. Panopto will republish the video with the captions. Videos that have captions available can be identified by the small "CC" icon next to the video title.