Looking for a way to allow students to record their presentations outside of class time? Panopto allows faculty to set up an Assignment Folder that students can use to record and upload their presentations in Canvas.The Panopto recorder is easy to use and will allow students to use their personal computer to record a presentation and sync it to a PowerPoint presentation.
With the Panopto Recordings tool in Canvas, students will be able to upload their recordings to a Panopto Assignment Folder. Students will only have permission to record in the Assignment folder.
Note: There can only be one Assignment Folder per Panopto folder. If you need students to submit multiple presentations in the same class, you will need to:
- Create one assignment folder and instruct the students on naming their Panopto submissions specifically for each assignment (i.e., John-Smith-Presentation-2, John-Smith-Final-Presentation).
- Create a new subfolder within the class Panopto folder, like, for example, "Final Presentations." Within that folder, follow the instructions below to add a new Assignment Folder. Students will need to click on the subfolder and then the assignment folder within that folder to submit their assignments.
Setting Up a Student Assignment Folder in Panopto
- Log in to Canvas.
- Enable Panopto Recordings, if you have not done so. You can find directions here.
- Click Panopto Recordings in the Left Navigation menu.
- Click Folder Settings in the Panopto folder menu.
- Click Create Assignment Folder from the Panopto settings menu.
- Once you click the link to create the assignment folder, the name of the new folder will appear. By default, this folder is the name of the class with [assignments] appended.
Click the X in the upper right corner of the window to return to Canvas.
- Please give your students instructions to upload their Panopto videos to this folder. Specific instructions on using Panopto to record a presentation may be found in the Panopto instructions for students.
Allowing Students to View Other Students' RecordingsBy default, only the student who uploads the file and the instructor in the class can view the uploaded video. If you would like students to view each others’ recordings or share them in the Discussion, you will need to change a setting in the Panopto Assignment Folder.
- Click the Assignment folder in the Panopto window to make it the active folder.
- Click the Folder Settings icon for the Assignments folder.
- In the Settings window, select the checkbox to “Allow viewers to see each other’s sessions." Click the X in the upper right corner to return to Canvas. Your changes are saved automatically.
For other questions about using Panopto, check out these useful guides: