Understanding all the resources available to you as a St. Edward’s staff member can be confusing. So here’s a quick-start guide to the technology you need to know about.
Let’s start with three things every staff member needs.
myHilltop is the gateway to all St. Edward’s services and systems, including timesheets, employee information and all the applications listed on this page. You can search for or filter tasks, and you can favorite those you use most frequently for easy access. For more information, check out our guide to myHilltop’s features
With your St. Edward’s username and password, you can log in to your university G Suite account. Official university messages will be sent to your university Gmail account
, accessible via myHilltop
. Likely, you’ll use Google Calendar
and Google Drive
frequently, too, and you may hold virtual meetings using Google Hangouts Meet
The OIT Help Desk is open six days a week in Moody 309. Hours change between summer and spring/fall semesters, so please check the most up-to-date information on our main website
. But there are other ways to reach OIT support:
Our Top Tech Tips
- Keep it a secret. OIT will never ask you for your password. If someone does ask for it, or other sensitive personal information, in a message, it’s a phishing attack.
- Keep it updated, too. You’re required to update your password once a year, at a minimum. But you can update your password or security questions any time at identity.stedwards.edu.
- Store in the Cloud. Earlier, we mentioned you have access to Google Drive for storing files with your St. Edward’s account. You also have unlimited storage in Box. Which one should you use? Check out our comparison chart.
- Learn what you need, when you need it. All St. Edward’s staff have access to LinkedIn Learning and its thousands of training videos on a variety of skills and tools. You even have the option to connect your university LinkedIn Learning account with your personal LinkedIn page to show off all that you’ve learned. Find the link in myHilltop.
- Save money on software. As a St. Edward’s staff member, you’re eligible for discounts on software like Adobe Creative Cloud and Microsoft Office.
- Connect with colleagues. Workplace is the central hub for employee communication. Log in with your St. Edward’s credentials to see need-to-know information, as well as campus news. You can also subscribe to OIT’s Tech Tips group for helpful advice on using campus technology.
- Create audio and video projects. Is outreach or communication part of your job? Stop by the Digital Media Center on the second floor of Munday Library, where you can reserve our green screen, audio booth or podcast studio, or edit digital media files with specialized software.
- Buy the right technology. We have standard selections and a purchase form for new employee hardware. To request specialized software, like Adobe Creative Cloud, for yourself, submit a case to OIT support. To purchase enterprise (university-wide) software, please see our Technology Selection Policy.
- Get the access you need. All new employees are given baseline access to Banner, the university’s central system, based on their positions. If you need deeper or more specialized access, work with your supervisor to request it.
- Be the first to know. Follow OIT on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and Youtube to stay up-to-date on campus technology.