If you would like students to sign up for office hours or advising appointments, you can create appointment signups in Google Calendar. Students will only see the available appointments, not your entire calendar.
Setting Up Appointment Slots
- Go to Google Calendar.
- Highlight a time slot to create a new meeting, but choose Appointment Slots instead of Event.
- Title the Appointment Group (e.g., Office Hours)
- Click Create.
- The first time you create appointments, you will see additional information. In the information box, click Get Started with Appointment Slots.
- In the appointment screen, choose the calendar you want the appointments to appear on.
- Choose either the whole time as an appointment bloc or break the time into slots of 30 minutes (or whatever length you prefer).
- Enter the location and a description.
- Copy the URL for the appointment page from This Calendar's Appointment Page.
- Click Save to save your appointment slots.
Distributing the Appointment Slots to Students
Reserving an Appointment Slot
- After clicking the link, students will see the available slots and click one to reserve it.
- The student will be prompted to save the appointment slot.
- That appointment will then appear on both your Google Calendar and the student's calendar in Google.