If you use Mac Mail to check your email, setting it up for Gmail just takes a few clicks.Before you set up Mac Mail for Gmail, you'll need to make sure you've updated to MacOS Sierra or newer.
Important note if you have locally stored email (anything unavailable at gmail.stedwards.edu):
To avoid losing locally stored email on your Mac, you will need to export local folders before setting up your Gmail account in Mac Mail. Local folders are any folders that will display on your Mac Mail client but not in the Gmail web app.
Follow these steps:
1. Open Mac Mail and view your Inboxes.
2. Select the local folders you would like to export.
3. Select Mailbox, then scroll down to Export Mailbox and select it.
4. Then follow the prompts to save those folders on your local drive.
Syncing Gmail with Mac Mail
Once you add your St. Edward's Google account to your Mac, all of your information will begin to download.
- Open Mac Mail.
- Select Preferences within Mac Mail.
- Choose to add a Google account and enter your email address.
- Enter your St. Edward's login credentials when prompted.
- Select Mail and Calendar to sync both.