Skype is a free video-conferencing software. If you do not already have it installed on your computer, you will need to download it.If you're using a university-distributed computer, you will need to submit a support case to OIT, so one of our support staff members can download the software for you.
- Once you open Skype, you'll find a login screen. If you have an account already, you can log in. If not, follow the on-screen instructions to create your account.
- Skype will check automatically that your computer's speakers, microphone and camera are compatible and adjust these options for you.
- Skype will continue to set up automatically. Follow any on-screen instructions until you get to your profile page. At this time, you can add a profile picture and update your profile.
Adding ContactsTo add a new contact, click in the Search bar under your profile picture and type in either a Skype username or an email address. Select the contact in the search results and click Add to Contacts. Click Send. They user will be added to your contact list but will appear offline until they accept your request.
Making a Call
- You can only make calls to people on your Contacts list. Select the person you want to call. To set up a video call, click the video icon on the left. To make a phone call, press the phone icon in the middle.
- You can also make group calls in Skype. Under your profile picture, click the New option. You can select as many people as you want for an instant-messaging group, but the video calling limit is 10. We suggest a maximum of five, as adding more users increases the chances of connection issues.