Once you've synced your Zimbra email with Outlook, you'll need to know a few things about using that client. We've collected some how-to's on basic Outlook functions.
Address BookYou can add contacts manually or use the Global Address List in Outlook.
- In the bottom right corner, click the Contacts button (outlined in red). In the Find group in the ribbon and click Address Book. Your contacts will be listed here. To make a new contact, click File > New Entry > New Contact > OK. Enter the contact information and click Save & Close.
- The Global Address List contains the emails of all St. Edward's faculty, staff, and students and should automatically be added to your address book if you downloaded the Zimbra Connector. If this isn't the case, go to the Find group and click Address Book. Then go to Tools > Options and select Custom, then Global Address List, then Add. Select Global Address List again then click Add > OK.
- When new students, teachers, or staff are added to the Global Address List, it needs to update. To check that the list is updating automatically, go to the Zimbra tab then Syncing group. Click Sync Global Address List, and make sure Automatic is selected.
Create a Contact GroupYou can create contact groups to make it easy to send emails and invite members to calendar events.
- Go to the Contacts page, then under the Home tab click New Contact Group. Name your group, then click Add Members in the Members group. You can add people from your Outlook Contacts, Address Book (Global address List), or by entering new emails.
- You can also create a group from the Calendar. Click the Calendar and go to the Home tab, and in the Manage Calendars group click Calendar Groups. Then click Create New Calendar Group, name your group, and add members.
- If you would like to send an email on behalf of another person, you must create a persona. In the Server group under the Zimbra tab, click Personas.
- Click Add... and name your persona, then click OK.
- Fill in the From: field and check the Reply-to box.
- Enter the person's name and email address. Click OK. If you want to delete a persona, simply select it and click Delete.
Checking Your QuotaTo check your mailbox size, go to the Server group under the Zimbra tab and click Mailbox Quota.
Out of Office Assistant
- If you will be out of the office, you can have Outlook send automatic replies during your absence. In the Server group under the Zimbra tab, click Out of Office Assistant.
- Choose I am currently Out of the Office. You can make a custom reply and choose the dates/times you will be out of office. Click OK.
- To share your Outlook calendar, go to the Folder tab then Properties group and click Calendar Properties. Go to the Sharing tab and click Add...
- Select Internal and click OK. Make sure you have Global Address List selected under Address Book and select the contacts you want to share with. Click OK.
- Go to the AutoArchive tab and make sure Do no archive items in this folder is selected. Click Apply then OK.
Setting Up Your Signature
- You can set up prepared text to appear automatically on your outgoing emails. Click New Email in the New group. In the new window, go to the Include group and click Signature > Signatures...
- You can create, edit, and delete signatures by choosing a signature under Select signature to edit and clicking the appropriate option below that section. You can then edit the content and format of your signature. When you're finished editing, click Save then OK.
- When you click New, a window will pop up and ask you to name your signature. You can also choose which signature you want to automatically appear on your New messages or Replies/forwards under Choose default signature.