Recording presentations from home is easy using Panopto from within your Canvas class. You can record a PowerPoint presentation and provide audio as well as video of your presentation.
Your instructor will enable Panopto for your class and set up a specific folder for your recordings. If you don't see that folder in your class, please contact your instructor.
Creating a Panopto Recording
- Log in to Canvas.
- Go to your course page.
- Find the link for Panopto Recordings on the left menu and click it.
- A new page will open with available Panopto recordings. Click the Student Presentations box just below the "Name, Duration, Date, Rating" line. Please note: Faculty can name this folder something other than "Student Presentations." Look for a folder that matches your assignment name or directs students to upload their video.
- Click the blue Create button and then select Record a new session. If you do not already have the Panopto application installed, you will then be given the option to download the recorder for your specific computer (Mac or PC). Follow the prompts to install the software.
- Once the software is installed, return to the Panopto Recordings page in Canvas. Click the Student Presentations button, and then click the blue Create button and select Record a New Session. Chrome users may receive a pop-up window that requires clicking "Launch Application."
- The Panopto Recorder application will launch. Once the Panopto Recorder application opens, make sure you're recording to the student presentations folder. If necessary, you can change folders by clicking the folder button. Make sure you're recording into the correct assignment and class folder. If you start from Canvas, Panopto will default to the correct folder.
- Change the name of your video by clicking in the Session field. Your video name should include your name or your group's name as well as the assignment name.
- If you're recording a PowerPoint, make sure there's a check next to PowerPoint under Slides.
- Uncheck Record Screen Capture unless you want to use video applications other than PowerPoint.
- Make sure that you're recording with the correct camera and microphone by clicking the dropdown menu next to Audio and Video to select your devices.
- Click Start Recording when you're ready to record.
- Put the PowerPoint presentation in “Slide show” mode. Deliver the presentation as you normally would.
- When recording is complete, exit presentation mode in PowerPoint (ESC key). Next, go to the Panopto recorder, click the stop button and then the blue upload button.
- You will see the upload meter as the recording is uploaded to the server.
Complete instructions for using Panopto to record are available in our Getting Started with Panopto guides.