Need to track attendance? Tired of shuffling paper attendance sheets around? Canvas has a Roll Call Attendance application that can be used to track class attendance.
Attendance is an external tool that allows faculty to quickly mark students as Present, Absent or Late. You can view students alphabetically or use a seating chart. Instructions for setting up and using Attendance are available in the Canvas Community.
Controlling Points Awarded for AttendanceIf attendance is enabled, it's considered an assignment worth 100 points, and an attendance column is automatically added to the gradebook. There are various strategies for removing attendance from Grades or controlling the percentage of the final grade, and they are outlined in the Canvas Community Guide.
You can also choose not to have the attendance grade counted as part of the final grade. To enable this option:
- Go to Assignments and edit Roll Call Attendance.
- Click on More Options.
- Check the box to the left of "Do not count this assignment towards the final grade."
- Click Save.
Creating an Attendance ReportCanvas has a very basic attendance report you can download. You can also see the detailed absences, late and attended entries by viewing each student's attendance record in the Roll Call Attendance tool. If you want a detailed report for all of the students in the class, follow these instructions for creating an Excel sheet with attendance data.
Tracking Attendance Outside of CanvasIf you do not want to use the Roll Call Attendance tool in Canvas, you can still use Canvas to download a spreadsheet with a list of all your students' names. To download the spreadsheet:
- Go to Grades in your course.
- Click on the Export button in the upper right corner and select the CSV file button.
- This will create a file in CSV (comma delimited) format that you can open in Excel.
- When you open the file in Excel you will be prompted to pick a delimiter. For this file select Comma.
- Names will be listed in column A. You can delete all of the other columns and add in columns for daily attendance. When you are done setting up your attendance sheet, click on the File menu and choose Save As. Save the file in Excel Workbook format (.xlsx).