WebEx is a video-conferencing tool (like Skype or Google Hangouts) that we support at St. Edward's. Below, we've compiled some of the most frequently asked questions about using WebEx.
How do I sign up for an account?If you're a current St. Edward's student, staff member or faculty member, your WebEx account is created when you first log in. Faculty and staff can log in at http://stedwards.webex.com. Students can log in at http://seustudent.webex.com. If you can't access your WebEx account, please submit a request to OIT Support.
Can students use WebEx?
Yes. Students can log in through the student WebEx domain. Please note: Students are not able to record meetings.
How do I join a WebEx meeting?
You'll receive an email when invited to participate in a WebEx meeting with the subject, Join WebEx meeting. The email will state the date and time of the meeting. You may join the WebEx meeting with the provided web address and meeting number or join by phone with the provided Toll-Free number and Access Code.
I can't hear anything! How do I connect to the audio?When you enter a meeting you will be prompted to select your Audio and Video Connection. Select Call Using Computer and your Video option then click on Connect. If upon entering the meeting you can't hear the host or presenter, please go to Quick Start from the menu at the top of the meeting window (just under the file, edit, share menu) and click the audio icon  to connect to audio.
How do I schedule a WebEx meeting?
- Log in to stedwards.webex.com (Faculty/Staff) or seustudent.webex.com (Students)
- Click the Login link in the upper right hand corner.
- Under Host a Meeting, click Schedule a Meeting.
- If you see the Advanced Scheduler page, click Quick Scheduler.
- Select a Meeting Type, enter a Meeting Topic, then enter and confirm the meeting password.
- Specify the Date, Time and Duration. (Setting duration is for planning only — the meeting will continue until you end it.)
- Enter the email addresses of people you want to invite.
- Click the green Start button to begin the meeting now or click Schedule Meeting if you changed the time or date.
- To start a meeting you scheduled, click My Meetings, then locate the meeting and click Start.
Can I invite non-St. Edward's participants to a meeting?Yes. By default, anyone with the link (or meeting number) and password may attend a WebEx meeting or event. As part of the advanced scheduling options, a meeting host can require that attendees register.
When should I choose WebEx vs. Skype, etc.?It depends on what you want to do. Skype and Google Hangouts are great for on-the-fly, as-needed communication. WebEx is strongest in more structured settings, like scheduled events and training sessions.
Our comparison chart provides more information and a summary of the features and best uses for WebEx.
|WebEx||Google Hangouts||Skype||Canvas Conferences||Zoom|
|Account Login||Use SEU login||Requires a personal Gmail account||Requires a personal Skype account||Use SEU login||Requires a personal Zoom account|
|Max Users (Video/Audio)||500||5||5||50||50|
|Record Meeting||Yes (Faculty/Staff
|Yes||No||Yes but recordings are deleted after 14 days||Yes|